Frequently Asked Questions

An on-going list of frequently asked questions concerning the Haines 10-year Timber Project

What is the current status of the University of Alaska, Haines 10-year Timber Sale?

The current project is undergoing review. We are working closely with the potential buyer in regard to estimating overall volume, timing of harvest with adjacent land owners harvest, infrastructure needed, potential tariffs and timeline of project life. The UA Land team is also engaged in review of carbon credit programs for all of University of Alaska lands, which includes the Haines / Chilkat valley property.




Why doesn’t UA Land get carbon credits for their land like Sealaska, for example?

The UA Land team has been analyzing the potential of engaging in a carbon credit program on all University of Alaska Lands, which includes the proposed Haines 10-year Timber Sale. The carbon credit program is complex and evolving with a variety of factors that may affect University lands and future development.

The team will continue to review all University lands that best fit the carbon credit program and then proceed with an RFP for a project team/advisor to help facilitate their participation in the program.

Do the recent incidents of theft and trespassing affect the project?

Whether the theft impacts the timber sale in the long term isn’t known right now. In the short term, it has impacted the field work and the inspections that were underway, and it has diverted our attention. But this is a 10-year sale coordinated with other entities, so it is unlikely to have a long-term impact. Also, progress has been made in resolving these issues and we are very grateful to the community for your support.




Is university-owned land the same as public land?

No, the University of Alaska is considered a private land owner, and separate from State of Alaska lands which are public domain lands.

Is hunting or camping allowed on UA Lands?

No, hunting and camping are strictly prohibited. Hunting is listed as unauthorized usage on all of our Land Use Permits. But, we’ve heard from you that this is an important issue to the community in Haines. The university is exploring the possibility of hunting on land west of the Chilkat River for one season as a trial run in September 2019. Once we have an update, we will share more information as soon as possible (as of May 2019).

What type of activity requires authorization from the University on its lands?

All activity requires an authorization (i.e. lease, permit or agreement) from the University unless the use is defined as casual use, per Board of Regents’ Policy 05.11.044.F.

Casual use means the occasional non-commercial recreational use of undeveloped university property by members of the public. Casual use may include hiking, biking, running, skiing, and snowshoeing on established trails; berry picking; and fishing. Casual use does not include extraction of natural resources, cutting trees or other vegetation, clearing or cutting trails, hunting, camping or any commercial operation.

Individuals must complete a Land Use Authorization form, located on the website at, to request use of any university lands. Examples of such authorizations vary from firewood permits, access permits, permits for a race event and utility easements. Management of university lands must be consistent with the University’s BOR Policy 05.11.

What type of economic impact, jobs and opportunities will be generated by the project?

The overall coordinated project is estimated to provide $90 million to the Haines economy. The university estimates it could be 40-45 total new local jobs with 25 in maritime and 20 in construction/forestry. This estimate is based on prior harvests in the region, and the support needs for construction, timber operations, heavy equipment operator uses and maritime services. As the project develops, the university and buyer look forward to working with the Haines community to utilize the local workforce.

Who is the buyer?

Information about the buyer will be made public once the negotiations are finalized and a contract is established. Until then, negotiations are confidential.

Is the buyer considering local timber purchase and processing?

Yes. The university has had conversations with Haines community members regarding the purchase of privately owned timber and the sale of university timber to small mill operators for value added production.

What will you do with received input?

The university will review and consider all input that was received to help inform the final harvest plan and project implementation. Additionally, the university summarized comments for the Board of Regents and presented it at the Board of Regents meeting which was held in June 2018. The university will also consider those comments and input during the next steps, field surveys and timber cruising. This input will help refine project details, infrastructure needs and viable harvest areas. The process will be coordinated with the university’s partners, the State of Alaska Division of Forestry, and the Alaska Mental Health Trust Land Office. Periodic updates are being provided to the community via the UA Land Haines email list.


Looking for more information about the Haines Community?


Last updated November 25, 2018

(206) 659-9966